Wednesday, February 18, 2009

the flu

after a 4 day weekend with the kids, at the end, one got the flu and the other one followed suit. Amazingly, so far so good. We all had shots and the oldest, who was asymptomatic but had this chest congestion thing going on..again..was the one who started but seems fine with no fever for several days. In fact, when he must have started having it, he only had very low grade fever the first days with feeling a bit chilled and that mostly at night.
Then, just the night of school starting, the youngest woke up with a fever and we've just finished a day of moaning and groaning, eyes glazed over and 'feeling sad'. When I took her to the doc to confirm it was the flu, she got sick and bless her little independent self, she grabbed the bucket and did her thing without me having to pull over. (I was going as fast as I could).Then she asked for the towel I had brought so she could wipe her little mouth. (5 1/2yrs)

As I parked in the parking lot and saw the 'content', I thought DANG. More than I thought. What to do? Where's the nearest spiggot?? So I ended up composting it ahem, on a strip of grass next to the concrete paved parking lot. Usually, my husband is the one who's the designated 'cleaner upper' for 'that kind of stuff' as I normally gag and try not to follow suit (blech!), but I'm proud to announce I managed to clean the whole thing, stay composed and clean it out to boot with heaps of those antibacterial wipes we always have in the car. Last thing you need is to get back in the car with that 'smell'!

Plus, fyi..here's a way to get into your own separate room sooner at the doctors; ask for a bucket for throwing up. We got one and quickly got whisked to our own little room. [g]

Poor baby had fever and was just miserable and aching all day. When we finally got home around 4sh..I put her to bed and at 6:45sh..she woke up, hair looking like she sweated it out and her pajamas feeling accordingly and since that time..no fever! So what to do? If she hasn't had a fever for 24hrs, technically, she could go back to school. She's chipper now and hasn't crashed back into misery as I expected it. I thought it would be a long night last night but no. She did wake me up twice as she of course, slept too much. Now she's happy and watching the Backyardigans.

My son who's been sequestered in his room and the guest room (tv and bathroom) is now still asleep. Having the flu but no fever for days and asymptomatic.

Well..it could be worse. So another reason for not having posted. Again!
Later peeps. I've been collecting all these articles I had wanted to comment on but they're all old news now..c'est la vie!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Mariamariacuchita said...

I'm so sorry...sounds like you all have what is going around!! We had this a few weeks ago and it is not pleasant!! Please let me know if you need anything!

3:39 PM  
Blogger Ingrid said...

Maria, we're good. I was all set for a rough night but Rebecca weathered through fine last night. Perhaps a testimony to us having had flu shots? She's pretty active and bouncing around the house today (no fever no nothin'!) but it still would be good to keep her home for another day, inspite of being fever free for 24hrs. Your body can still be susceptible afterwards..
Dirk's just chilling. No fever since Sunday but his body is tired..at least not achy.
James and I, knock on wood, still good. Yours and our family, we're certainly playing 'tag' with all these germs aren't we?[g]

sorry to hear about the dog (poor baby!) situation, hope it will be brought to light and be resolved!

Ingrid

4:26 PM  
Blogger jmsjoin said...

Hi Maria

Ingrid
I have not been sick in years buy you have me feeling woozy! hope the kids feel better and quick. Sounds good already! Hope all of you are at least getting some fresh air it does wonders!

4:50 PM  
Blogger Ingrid said...

Jim, I hate to 'brag' but it got up to 80F today. That said, I got way too hot transplanting seedlings in the porch with that sun but I can't wait to just go out for a walk that's for sure! The outside does wonders I totally agree![s]

Ingrid

4:52 PM  
Blogger Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Sorry you're having to deal with the crud. I hope everyone is recovered soon.

8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home