Thursday, May 25, 2006

The road to Guantanamo

June 23, the documentary 'The Road to Guantanamo' will premier. Already the producers faced an issue with the MPAA.
In a Washington Post article from May 17th, you can read about the controversy of the documentary's original movie poster, seen here.


However, the really offensive part is in the substance of what goes on at Guantanamo. Please read a first hand account of a current detainee, Benyam Mohammed al-Habashi. Picked up in Britain shortly after 9/11, he still awaits his fate 5 yrs later.

If you are like me, you might not like reading the whole thing in one shot. I have posted this before so if you stopped reading, this is your change to pick it up again.

3 Comments:

Blogger elendil said...

The telling thing about the Benyam Mohammed story is that his torture led to him making a false confession. Moral reasons against torture aside, it just doesn't make pragmatic sense. The intelligence gathered is worthless. I've found at least 8 cases of victims making up stuff to try and get the torture to stop. We're shooting ourselves in the foot with this policy.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Ingrid said...

You are absolutely right Elendil. I have been so busy with the toddler running under foot while trying to post and think clearly..phwaaa..that's all I say, ha! I was at my kids' school when my youngest was going for a visit and in that brief, half hour moment I got to think and write. I will post that tomorrow. Thanks for visiting..oh and btw...I am gearing up for hosting a meeting to get one or some of those community activity opportunities going...wish me luck!
Ingrid

8:41 PM  
Blogger elendil said...

Yeah, the big room with the blue ceiling that's sometimes black often interferes with my blogging too :-) When you decide on a date and time for your activity, drop us a line and we'll put it onto the calendar if you want.

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home