Monday, May 08, 2006

Bloggers standing up for other bloggers, Free Alaa from Egypt

I spent most of my day caring for my three year old who was crying and moaning for the most part. With a diagnosis of an ear infection from the doctor this afternoon, and a happy release that rivalled the barferama scene of Stand by Me in our car on the way home (when else, where else), I did not think I had it in me to even check someone else's blog. Well, I couldn't help myself. And I am glad I did. This is how my particular trail went;
First, I visited the Religious Policeman. From there I jumped off to visit Mahmoud's Den. Normally I continue on to visit my good (blogger)friend Ahmed from Saudi Jeans, but Mahmoud's post stopped me dead on my track.

It is not that I hadn't heard about bloggers getting arrested before. But, I guess I am getting too used to seeing Arab bloggers coming out in political activism taking it totally for granted that, even though Egypt might still be considered a great vacation spot for many, it is still a police state with the main Kahuna afraid that any dissenting voice will lead to some sort of dethroning. Heaven forbid.

So, check out these stories on Alaa from Egypt, and the many others detained by Egyptian police on May 7th.

Carsten Agger from Modspill decided to spread the word and ask people to write letters of protest and added a little somethin' somethin'..the Egyptian Embassy's address. So without further ado, let's make it a worldwide effort here;

The Egyptian Embassy
3521 International Ct. N.W
Washington, DC 20008
tel: 202)895-5400
fax: (202)244-5131 / (202)244-4319
web: Egyptian Embassy

Egyptian Embassy in London, UK
26 South Street London W1Y 6DD
fax: 020 7491 1542
tel: 020 7499 3304 (why not call?)
web: Egyptian Embassy

For all the Egyptian Embassies in Europe,South America, Asia and Africa, check this out and follow your nose (and make the call, or fax, or write)

Tomorrow, I will try to place a call and email. And I will let you know how that went.

Now if you want a good laugh,(because you don't want to stay depressed) check out Saudi Jeans' report on the Saudi night life. I know, it's an oxymoron, but then, so are many things in the Middle East.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home