Postcard to the President from all over the world
From London England
From Tel Aviv, Israel
From Gaza, The Occupied Territories
(Palestinian residents of Gaza ask U.S. President-Elect Barack Obama to work for peace, and to improve the situation in Gaza.
1. (Arabic) ABDEL-HAMID FAYYAD, 72-YEAR-OLD GAZA RESIDENT, SAYING: "By the name of the Palestinian nation, I ask Obama to find a just solution for the Palestinian cause. I hope that he will be better than the ones before."
2. (English) 49-YEAR-OLD GAZA RESIDENT, ADAM HAMDAN, SAYING: "The most important thing politically, how can Obama push the wheel of the peace, not only the negotiations but the triggers on the ground?"
3. (Arabic) 50-YEARS-OLD GAZA RESIDENT, MOHAMMED ABU AWDA, SAYING: "(Obama), We hope that he will help us to find a solution for the Palestinian case, and to end the siege because we are really suffering, I hope he will find a solution for the Palestinian case and everybody will live in peace.")
From Moscow, Russia
(Russians hope for warmer, freindlier relations between Russia and the U.S, and for a just international policy under Obama:
1. (English) ALEXANDER FYODOROV, ENGINEER FROM MOSCOW, SAYING:
"Mr.Barack Obama, Mr President, I would like to congratulate you with your victory, I hope that you will be strong enough and powerful enough to provide reforms you've planned, I hope that you will develop peaceful and friendly relations between our two countries."
2. (Russian) ANDREI KAZAKOV, MOSCOVITE, SAYING:" I have the only message for him to rule his country in a just way and to conduct a foreign policy in a just way, because it is very important to treat all the worlds' countries objectively, friendly and with respect."
3. (Russian) ELENA, STUDENT FROM MOSCOW, SAYING:"US policy, no matter wether Republicans Or Democrats are in charge, has been the same for a long time, for the past 100 years. So I wish to Bararck Obama to love Russia and do not treat it just as a consumer market.")
From Baghdad, Iraq
(On the streets of Baghdad a call for his withdrawl of U.S. troops:
1. (English) BAQEE NAQED, JOURNALIST, SAYING : "I as an Iraqi, I am asking Obama to keep his promise about
withdrawing the U.S. security forces here from our land and we want friendly
ties with Iraq people and government. We do not need an occupation here, we
need people to help us to improve security situation and services."
2. (Arabic) MOHAMMED AL-SHABIKY CITIZEN, SAYING: "We hope from Obama to hold talks with neighbouring countries and
represent new U.S. policy in Middle East and more specifically in
3. (Arabic) FADHIL AL-SHAMREE, BANKER, SAYING: "We call upon Mr. president Obama to hold good relations with Iraq
and pullout U.S. and multi-national forces from iraq as soon as
possible.". President-elect Barak Obama.)
From Tehran, Iran
From Havana, Cuba
(Among the reaction, Cubans said Obama's campaign vow to ease the 46-year-old U.S. trade embargo against Cuba and his willingness to consider dialogue with the Cuban government were a breath of fresh air after almost eight years of tough talk and hard-line policies from the Bush adminstration.
1. (English) TAMARIT SAYING: "Obama, you are the hope for millions of people so things improve throughout the world. The war should end and relations between Cuba and the United States, maybe, should improve in the future. We hope for that."
2. (Spanish) 18-YEAR OLD HOSPITALITY STUDENT YAIMA TORRES SAYING: "I hope there is an improvement for Cuba, for the world; may our presidents unite to help the world progress. I am also hoping for an end to the war, that the money and economy of the United States be for the people and not to send bombs to Iraq or Afghanistan as they have been doing."
3. (Spanish) 31-YEAR-OLD MILITARY DOCTOR JOBEDIS MATINES SAYING: "My message to the new president would be to end the war in Iraq and Afghanistan and to end the blockade that the United States has in place against Cuba which impedes us to further develop as a free country."
4. (Spanish) 24-YEAR-OLD MEDICAL STUDENT REGINO FERRER SAYING: "The message I have for the new United States president is to eliminate the injustices that are being committed around the world, he has the power to do it, he (Obama) can do it.")