Monday, November 10, 2008

The Death of "Mama Africa" - Miriam Makeba




Miriam Makeba (1932-2008)

"Throughout her life, Mama Makeba communicated a positive message to the world about the struggle of the people of South Africa and the certainty of victory over the dark forces of apartheid and colonialism through the art of song."

N'Kosi Sikeleli Africa- With Miriam Makeba (South Arican national anthem "God Bless Africa", at the end of a concert with Paul Simon, see last song below)



Miriam Makeba - Pata Pata



Miriam Makeba and Paul Simon - Under African Skies



I will postpone my 'Part 2' (see previous post) because this will actually tie in to a message of sorts..I see connections anyway..rest in peace Mama Africa..

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger jmsjoin said...

I heard this morning that she died during a concert but I did not realize her significance so thanks Ingrid!

11:31 AM  
Blogger Utah Savage said...

I was a fan of hers so long ago. What a nice piece. You do the loveliest tributes.

6:09 PM  
Blogger Ingrid said...

Jim, I saw on it online. Today was one of those 'four hour' away at the pediatrician and xray places so that took care of my 'browsing'..
anyhow, what can we bloggers do without youtube? It is truly the one of the best inventions to connect the world with (aside from the www itself).. the 'ping' song's embed was disabled which was a shame because it was actually a bride's song or something..anyhow..when Miriam sings that song with Paul Simon I get the goosebumps.. songs from African come from the heart and their experiences.. so much for 'baby I love you' crap that 'we' over here have to endure..
Utah..whenever I hear music from Africa in whatever setting, I tell myself 'note to self' find 'this and that' and buy it.. it transports me. It's one of the last frontiers of sorts and now a veritable dumping ground of toxic waste (courtesy of Western companies) and it's such a mix in Africa, politics, culturally, socially etc.. I'd love to go and visit.. Africa needs saving still
I digress.. as for the tributes hey..can't really take any credit for that (see youtube comment) but I'd like to keep it simple. Miriam apparently collapsed whilst on stage in Italy, what a way to go..going out singing..they way to enter the world and they way to exit..
so wished I could've posted her 'ping' song..
viva Mama Africa..PING!!

Ingrid

6:51 PM  
Blogger Mariamariacuchita said...

I remember when she was part of the Black Panther alliance, and in the company of ..Stokely Carmichael? Had to remember, but seems like it was just yesterday. What a talented singer.

9:01 PM  
Blogger Ingrid said...

Maria, your memory goes back more and 'better' than mine. The name sounds familiar but I do not know who Stokely Carmicheal is..
time for a little 'maria' education [s],

Ingrid

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home