Saturday, September 23, 2006

Rosh Hashana and Ramadan

Happy New Year to my Jewish friends (ok, a wee bit belated as it was yesterday) and good luck to all my Muslim friends who are starting the fast today. Luckily, it's not in the middle of the summer when the days are long and how nice that you get to start on the weekend when there's no work (well, for those who don't work on weekends anyway) and you can ease into it.

When I lived in Saudi Arabia shortly after the first Gulf war, I remember being paranoid in not even daring to chew gum whilst shopping because I had heard that the religious police was out looking for any infraction. Of course, that could have been rumours because, with no official announcements, rumours abound. I always liked the evenings though, when walking 'downtown' (Alkhobar in my case) the mood was festive, and people naturally went out to eat. Another fond memory was being invited by our Muslim friends to break the fast. Somehow, when I think of it now, rituals are a nice bonding factor. So I'll feel out my new Yemeni neighbour and see if he would like us to join him breaking the fast.

Do people with Rosh Hashana also make new years' resolutions? Just wondering?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most people wish for things to happen in the next year, or bless each other.
Some people make decisions about the future. They decide to be betters people, stop smoking, etc.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Ingrid said...

yohay, I have tried several times to comment on your blog and somehow it doesn't 'take'! So, smart cookie that I am (ahem), I copied my comment so here is what I had intended for your blog:
"tss..yesterday I wrote a long comment and it got 'eaten' when I clicked on 'submit comment'! (nice to know it's not only blogger who messes up sometimes)
anyway Yohay, I wish you all the best for the coming year and I am glad that in your time off of work, you got to do some traveling and taking time for yourself to think and do stuff you otherwise couldn't. Now, with a new job, you'll be able to do things you couldn't if you didn't have one because you'll have a nice income stream. See how good it is in all circumstances? I have (and still am) enjoyed getting to know you and I appreciate all your feedback and opinions. Here's to another year more of that!
Ingrid (now click and submit and 'take'!!)" aargh, it did it again! sigh

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Ingrid.
Thank you for your compliments and wishes for me. Thank you for ponting out that the comments are eaten. I found the problem and fixed it. I was really wondering why I haven't received comments in the past week. At least I didn't get spam comments...

Happy New Year to you too.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Richard said...

Jews don't make "resolutions" (thank God as this is one of the goyische traditions that drives me crazy along with Christmas, Santa Claus, you name it). But Yohay is correct that in our prayers we ask for peace, prosperity & all manner of good things in the coming year. The High Holidays are supposed to be a time of deep introspection about what we've done wrong & right in the past yr. as well.

This, to me, is better than making a raft of New Year's resolutions.

2:48 AM  
Blogger Ingrid said...

Richard! I had to laugh when you said 'goyishe'. Haven't heard that term in a while. (how nice and yiddish) But ehm..are you dissing Santa?? (no matter, I grew up with Sinterklaas which at least is based on a real bishop, ha! I never make resolutions as I try to change things throughout the year and just don't get stuck on calling it anything but making changes. It's too bad that in the Christian religion we don't have anything that comes close to either Rosh Hashana or Ramadan where you are working through spiritual reflections for a long period of time. In Holland, I grew up with present-less Christmas although according to my mom the stores are busy trying to change that. Christmas is pretty secular because of all this hype about presents. It's a shame. The shared experiences 'ya'll' are having seems to only be achieved here on a personal level when you go to a retreat or engage in a day or even two day fast. Well, tosh shova (do I remember that correct??) for the high holidays and thanks for stopping by,
Ingrid

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home