Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Back to Darfur

If you thought that my previous post on Darfur was just a change of pace from the Middle East situation, think again. This is what the Washington Post editorial had to say today;
...last week Britain and the United States circulated a U.N. Security Council resolution that would get about 20,000 peacekeeping troops and police officers into Darfur; if such a force were actually deployed, it would represent the greatest step forward for Darfur since the killing started. But Sudan's president, Omar Hassan al-Bashir, seems determined to frustrate this offer of assistance.
The only outspoken critic of the resolution on the Security Council is Qatar, which is reflecting the collective unwisdom of the Arab League. The Arabs have long opposed a U.N. deployment in Darfur, apparently because they believe in the sovereign right of governments to slaughter civilians. To disguise the brutality of this position, the Arabs have in the past professed a preference for the existing African Union peacekeeping force in Darfur, even offering to provide resources to it. But that was just talk. Virtually all the funding for the African Union force has come from Europe and the United States. It will dry up at the end of September, making a U.N. follow-on force vital.

What now? Petitioning and targeting the Arab League perhaps? Naaah..as if they care. Have oil, will do whatever you please.

2 Comments:

Blogger betmo said...

yes- and now congo is having at it again. sigh.

2:20 PM  
Anonymous Rogel said...

It is so sad how "diplomatic" efforts are just a cover up for not doing anything. The Arab world which will jump to condemn Israel for alleged human right violations use the UN to actually block any practical effort to stop the genocide in Darfur.
More horrifying is the French collaboration of the delay tactics all for not risk oil drilling.

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home